Back to Blog Home
comments powered by
Raleigh, NC Attorney Can Help You Fight an Underage Drinking Ticket
North Carolina’s underage drinking laws are clear: You must be 21 or older to purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic drinks. College students tend to put themselves at risk the most, so we’ve compiles a short lesson on what students need to know about the drinking alcohol and the laws in North Carolina so they are better prepared if confronted by campus security or law enforcement.
Getting an Underage Drinking Ticket in NC
Although being arrested for underage drinking in NC is only a misdemeanor in most jurisdictions, it can still lead to fines, court costs and you might have to endure a special 8-week alcohol education class. Your school may impose other penalties.
And if arrested for DWI most will find their driving privileges revoked and much more severe penalties.
In the Event of an Arrest
If you find yourself arrested for underage drinking, it’s imperative that you know your rights…
1. Always be respectful, but remain calm and express your right to remain silent. That means, remain silent. Don’t answer any questions about anything to any law enforcement officer for any reason, ever. Simply say, “I’d like to remain silent.” For best results, refrain from adding any derogatory statements or names.
In Front of a Judge
2. Never consent to a search, however, you should never physically resist a search. Simply say, “I do not submit to a search of me or my stuff.”
3. Do not give an officer your fake ID, that’s only going to get you in a heap of trouble.
4. Never consent to a Breathalyzer test even if you’re driving unless you’re 100% sober (and know it, not just think it).
5. Do not resist an arrest and end up on CNN. If arrested, remain silent (which means completely silent) and contact an attorney.
6. Carry the phone number of a competent and qualified attorney with you at all times. You just never know when that will come in handy.
Here’s another thing that you should not do: Do not face the judge alone. If you think an underage drinking ticket is just a minor offense and you think there’s no need to ask a Raleigh lawyer for representation
, think again.
As a young adult with your whole future ahead of you, you need to recognize the importance of a clean criminal record. If you have been charged with underage drinking and given a ticket, contact a Raleigh, NC attorney
at Kurtz & Blum who will help you fight to help you win your case.
Alcohol and the Law in North Carolina (Know Your Rights), BlueNC