Raleigh Pedestrian Accident Attorney
What are your options if you are injured in a pedestrian accident? One crucial action you should take is to file a personal injury claim against the driver who hit you.
A personal injury claim can help you hold the driver responsible for his or her negligent actions. The money you recover can also help you pay for medical bills, recover lost wages, and defray other losses you have sustained due to your injuries.
During this stressful time, the pedestrian accident attorneys at Kurtz & Blum, PLLC, are here to fight on your behalf. We will negotiate assertively with the insurance company. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, we will take your case to court to demand the maximum compensation you are owed.
To learn more about your legal options after a pedestrian accident, call our law office today or contact us online.
How a Raleigh Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Don’t try to handle a pedestrian accident claim on your own. Here’s how a lawyer can help:
- Investigating your case. There are complicated legal requirements surrounding pedestrian accident cases, especially in North Carolina. A lawyer can gather testimony and evidence, review police reports, hire expert witnesses to speak on your behalf, find surveillance records to document your case, and more.
- Taking the pressure off you. There’s a lot of paperwork that comes with these cases. There are tight deadlines as well. Then there are the aggressive insurance adjusters. Let a lawyer do all the work for you. This way, you can focus on healing and getting back to your normal routine.
- Negotiating a settlement. A lawyer will know how to accurately assess the full value of your car accident case. You’re much more likely to secure the full, fair compensation you deserve if you have a skilled lawyer by your side.
- Taking your case to trial. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, a pedestrian accident attorney can argue your case in court. Having an experienced trial attorney on your side shows the insurance company you are not going to back down.
Compensation in a Pedestrian Accident Claim
Here are some of the damages you can potentially recover in a successful personal injury claim:
- Medical expenses. If you’re not to blame for your accident, you shouldn’t have to pay your medical bills. An injury claim can help you recover damages for your medical expenses after being in an accident. This also includes future medical care you may need.
- Lost wages. Depending on the extent of your injuries, you may miss a significant amount of work as you heal. An attorney can also help you demand future lost income if you cannot return to work.
- Pain and suffering. In addition to the physical pain that comes with a pedestrian accident injury, you may suffer emotional scars. A traumatic accident can trigger PTSD, flashbacks, nightmares, and other conditions that may adversely affect your mental health long after your body has healed. You deserve to be compensated for both the mental and physical anguish you’ve been through.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Raleigh
There are a handful of simple steps to take if you’re struck by a vehicle:
- Call the police to report the crash. Get a copy of the accident report.
- If you’re able, take pictures of the scene with your phone or ask someone else to do so.
- See a doctor as soon as possible. Save your medical records, bills, and receipts to substantiate any injuries you sustained.
- Don’t speak to the driver’s insurer until you’ve had a chance to talk to an attorney. You don’t want to potentially implicate yourself in the accident or do something to hurt your case.
- Contact a pedestrian accident lawyer immediately.
Time Limit for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit in NC
Except in some limited circumstances, the North Carolina statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits is three years, including for lawsuits related to pedestrian accidents. Three years may seem like a long time, but it’s important to get started on your case as soon as possible if you’re considering filing a lawsuit.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Some of the most common causes of auto pedestrian accidents include:
- Drunk driving/driving while under the influence of drugs. Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol slows reaction times and makes drivers less likely to notice a pedestrian.
- Distracted driving. Texting while driving is one of the most common forms of driver distraction, along with making a call. It’s crucial that drivers keep their eyes on the road.
- Reckless driving. Running a stop sign or red light, overly aggressive lane changes, failing to use a turn signal, and other reckless actions can all put pedestrians at risk. This also includes speeding, especially in areas like school zones where sudden speed limit changes can occur.
Talk to a Raleigh Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Now
Have you been injured in an auto pedestrian accident? Call our Raleigh personal injury law firm right away to get started on your case. You can reach us by calling our law office or by contacting us online.