Kurtz & Blum, PLLC - Criminal Justice Attorney

What Should I Do If I Am Involved in an Accident?

How to Proceed If You Are Involved in an Accident

When you have been involved in an accident, it is critical that you do everything that you can to preserve the evidence of what happened. The more evidence you have, the stronger your case will be and the better chance you have for recovering for all of your damages.

  • Immediately after the accident occurs, listen carefully to what the other driver says and write it down to help you remember. Record it if you can. If he says he’s sorry – that could be seen as an admission that it was his fault.
  • Give a clear description to the investigating officer of what happened and whose fault it was.
  • If the other driver appears to be acting strangely, tell the officer and ask the officer to test him for whether he is impaired and if so, take note of whether he is charged with DWI.
  • Take pictures of the vehicles before anyone moves them, and take pictures of the damage to both vehicles from several angles.
  • If you are injured, ask a witness to do it or have someone go to where the vehicles were towed and take pictures.
  • Take pictures of the other driver and any witnesses.
  • Take pictures of the scene of the accident.
  • Get the names and telephone numbers of any witnesses and ask them what they saw and what they think happened.
  • Have someone take pictures of your injuries.
  • Get medical treatment immediately – even if you just feel a little shook up or sore. You need to be checked to make sure you do not have a concussion or a hidden injury. You will most likely feel more pain the day or two after the wreck. You may need to miss work. You should return to your medical provider and report your pain. Always, always, always follow up with your medical treatment.
  • Keep a log or diary of your injuries and levels of pain, any work you miss, your medical appointments, and anything that causes your pain to increase or decrease. Keep track of any exercises you do at home and any medicine you take, either prescription or over-the-counter.
  • Do not give any recorded statements to any insurance adjuster until you talk to a car accident attorney.

Call me. If you are too injured to come to my office, I will come to you or set up a video call. If you’ve been in an accident, I can help.

Our injury lawyers help people throughout North Carolina. We frequently handle cases arising out of the following counties: Guilford, Cumberland, Chatham, Forsyth, Edgecombe, Alamance, Wake, Vance, Vance, Harnett, Wayne, Nash, Person, Johnston, Orange, Lee, Durham and Granville.

Of course, we also take on cases from the cities and towns in our own backyard of Wake County, North Carolina including: Zebulon, Wendell, Morrisville, New Hope, Garner, Rolesville, Cary, Knightdale, Wake Forest, Fuquay-Varina, Raleigh, Holly Springs and Apex.

Awards & Recognition:
©2024 Kurtz & Blum, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.